Saturday, October 3, 2015

A500.8.3.RB_HaganJason

A500.8.3.RB – GOOD PRESENTATION DESIGN

"Summarizing your current thoughts on good presentation design."

SIMPLISTIC: As a presenter attempting to “tell the story”, it is very important to know the material well. I find when I am passionate about the presentation, the effectiveness of the story I am attempting to tell will be meaningful. I like to spend time with the presentation, absorbing and analyzing the information. This enables me to speak with minimal reference to my notes. My prepared notes are there as a guide to keep the presentation in order. I like to remind myself that my words are currency, I have to spend them wisely. “Can I tell the story with fewer words and still convey an accurate, clear, concise message?” This also helps me highlight and underline what’s important. Mark Twain is credited with stating the following; “If I had more time, I would write a shorter letter.”

METHOD: The method of which the presentation will be presented can take many different forms. My profession clings to PowerPoint. There are some staunch critics of PowerPoint for good reason. Being aware of the pitfalls in PowerPoint are important. Using PowerPoint can lead to an overload of information on each slide which slows done the audiences’ ability to process the information. I am a visual learner, I have found that fewer words (text) and more pictures are meaningful and easier to recall. If I pack a lot of text into one slide, the audience gets lost in reading my slide and disconnects from what I am actually saying.

WHO, WHERE, HOW BIG: I need to know who my audience is and how big the room is. This will help me shape and develop my presentation. Something as simple as font size and impact my presentation. If I am so use to presenting in a small room, but my next presentation is in an auditorium, I would need to adjust the font size, or even the volume in which I project my voice or any audio media used during the presentation.

PRESENCE: As the presenter, I have to command the room. My presence needs to project to every corner of the room will ensure that every one in attendance is dialed in to the presentation. Remove any thing that could be a distraction. Often, prior to my brief I ask that all personal media devices are silenced or turned off.

EQUIPMENT CHECK: Not only do I have to prepare and practice my presentation, I need to test any and all equipment used. Ensure that I have the proper media equipment available, it’s turned on, and functioning correctly. Nothing is worse than taking the stage to only battle technology gremlins (Low battery, burned out bulbs, no audio, etc.).

CONTINGENCY: I need to have a backup plan in case the power to the computer, projector, or the monitor fails. I still need to deliver the presentation. I personally keep a paper printout of the entire presentation. In my profession, we also produce essential printed wall products. I post them on the back or side of the room. The products are large enough that I could divert to and present from should the power or “technical difficulty” encroach upon my presentation.

PREPARE: Lastly, I need to prepare, prepare, prepare. There is very little to hide behind when self-doubt, confidence, and credibility begin to waiver while presenting. I have to know the information, present it with passion, precision, and preparation.

Best Regards,
Jason



No comments:

Post a Comment