Saturday, September 5, 2015

A500.4.3.RB.HaganJason

Making my own choices.


Having the freedom to make my own choice is undeniably hardwired into me as something that is expected and desired as an American. As Dr. Lyengar so graciously points out in several of her examples of choice, the American culture desire is having choices. This desire of choice is weaved tightly into all Americans, which heavily influences the way we perceive choice. I am convergent with the idea that having many choices to choose from is freedom. That in and of itself, is the center piece of what being an American is about, freedom to choose. In reflecting about choices that I have made, big or small, I asked myself; "What ultimately influenced my decision in the choice that I made?"


More options leads to better choices.


In making my own choices, which is inline with my American ideals of freedom, I find that to be at times farthest from the truth. At times, having so many choices, options, colors, models, price points, and performance aspects does not feel like freedom at all. It makes me feel trapped, unable to make a choice or decision between products. Dr. Lyengar references this very situation.


My personality is one that analyzes each and every decision to be made, especially when it comes to spending money. I am going to focus on my road-race bicycle for this part of the post. Let's say there is a new performance part I want for my bike. Here are the questions that take my mind ransom, slowing me down, sometimes resulting in nothing purchased purely out of indecision.


Is this a need or want? What brand performance part do I go with? Is there any brand loyalty here influencing my choice? What color options are there? What size do I need? What material is it made of? How much does it weigh? Is it a quality product? What is the warranty on the product? What are the reviews of the product? Is there any other brand out there that has better performance? Better reviews? What do cycling forums say about this product? Are the PROs using this product? What do they say? What does YouTube say?  How much does it cost? What other companies carry the same products? Do they have better prices? Better performance? If this product weighs X and cost Y, this other brand weighs X and cost Y, which do I choose? Do I buy it now or wait for a sale? Do they offer a discount?


As you can see, for me this can be a paralyzing process with many different influences' affecting the choice I made.


Never say no to choice.


I agree with Dr. Lyengar's statement, "never say no to choice." Even though the freedom of choice can be paralyzing for me at times, I would much prefer to retain that freedom for myself. This drives at the "what is best for me" concept. If I relent on the ability to have personal choice, I feel that is encroaching on my American ideal of freedom.


Do I agree with Dr. Lyengar?


I agree wholeheartedly with Dr. Lyengars statements, evaluations, and perspectives on choice.


What is the implication of her comments on leadership?


As a leader, influence greatly impacts decisions made. While that influence comes in many different forms depending on the setting or choices to be made, a leader must learn to be highly aware of what is influencing their decisions. Keeping an "open mind" to new ideas is easier said than done, but is an important aspect to keep in mind. This requires a leader to be opened up to influences that could create difficulty in making a decision. I believe a leader should have some key, trusted individuals, removed from what his influences are, to offer a different perspective when called upon. While the refinement process of decision making looks different for everyone, I think every leader needs to be self aware of what tendencies they have that influence the decision they make.


Best Regards,
Jason



No comments:

Post a Comment